Camp Oregon Caves Port Orford Cedar – Heritage Tree
This Port Orford cedar is the only remaining tree standing from when Camp Oregon Caves Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) facility was established on this site in 1933. The bark was used as siding on the camp buildings because it is resistant to decay and weather extremes. This species has a small range, most of which is in southwest Oregon. It was the preferred wood for making arrow shafts before aluminum.The large Port-Orford cedar tree located near the back of the parking area was dedicated in 2011 as the 56th Oregon State Heritage Tree and isa living reminder of the Civilian Conservation Corps and Camp Oregon Caves Civilian Conservation Corps camp.
Located on Highway 46 (Oregon Caves Highway) about 11.5 miles from Cave Junction at the Chinquapin Campground.
The Chateau at Oregon Caves National Monument is one of the National Park’s Great Lodges and a National Historic Landmark. […]
In Oregon, Jeffrey pines are found only in the state’s southwest corner. They are especially adapted to local dry, infertile, […]
A hidden treasure, the Kerbyville Museum is a history museum in Josephine County. The main museum explores Native Americana (the […]